Participatory Impact Study of 4 Watersheds in Madikkai GP
We conducted Participatory Impact Study of 4 Watersheds in Madikkai GP. Case studies on various sectors of intervention in watershed were prepared based on the study. The study was supported by the Gramapanchayat under WGDP.
Result Focused Approach in Watersheds
We are implementing the watersheds in a Result Focused Methodology. Specific design is developed for the same. Right from the beginning of the project this is being practiced. Ongoing data collection of water table of observation wells, rain fall data monitoring by installing rain gauges, crop production and productivity monitoring by keeping separate crop records / registers are the salient feature of this approach. This is being undertaken with the participation of the community.
Methodology/technology adopted in Watershed Management
- Participatory Net Planning methodology: - We adopted Participatory Net Planning Methodology to prepare the watershed project. A multidisciplinary team visits all the plots in the watershed and conduct soil survey & land capability classification (LCC), contour survey, well survey and socio-economic survey. Treatment measures for each plot are proposed based on this.
- Water balance Study: Water Balance Study to know the actual water discharge/need and the requirement to keep balance is being conducted in the watersheds while preparing detailed project report.
- Marking of contour using hydro markers in each plot before the implementation of the treatment measures to ensure that the treatment measures are being implemented adhere to the contour principle
- Ridge to valley approach is followed in planning as well as implementation of the treatment measures in the watersheds to ensure quality and effectiveness of the project.
- Cluster approach: To have scientific terrain specific plan for the treatment and to keep quality as well as uniformity in implementation, cluster watershed approach have been followed.
- Observation wells and water table measurement: To know the results of the watershed projects in augmenting water table, at least 9 observations wells are selected from various areas of the watershed and water table is being measured and recorded in the prescribed format and are exhibited on a chart paper fixed near to the well to let the community know of the results.
- Rain gauges installed in watersheds
- Implementation of the project through Village Watershed Committee and Nano Watershed Groups
- Participatory monitoring through Nano Watershed Groups
- All the Registers, Accounts and Management Information System are being prepared by the people with the support of WDT and are kept at the VWC office within the watershed
- Common Shramadhan (voluntary labour) by the community before the start of the project.
- Preference to traditional treatment measures
- A portion of the fund for operation and maintenance of the treatment measures implemented is collected from the community
- Net working the school with watershed programmes
- Family Based Livelihood Planning